Open Letter to Apache OpenOffice: Today marks 20 years since the source code to OpenOffice was released. And today we say, LibreOffice is clearly the future of the suite (see the timeline). Let's all get behind it, for the benefit of all users: https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2020/10/12/open-letter-to-apache-openoffice/
You like #pcbart and #procedural generation? Only few PicoPlanet boards of the current batch are left. Be quick if you want one :)
Was Frau Dr. Eisenmann nicht verstehen will / vorgibt, nicht zu verstehen, ist, dass es nicht darum geht, von Microsoft ein von Microsoft für datenschutzsicher bezeichnetes Konzept für Server in BW oder andere Mogelpackungen einzuholen. Das Problem ist die Unverträglichkeit der Software und des Unternehmens mit der DSGVO. Dass keine Telemetrie und kein Datenabfluss an NSA, Heimatschutz und Co. stattfindet, ist bei closed source schlicht nicht überprüfbar. Deshalb muss man auch keine Entscheidung abwarten, deshalb ist der Big Brother Award auch nicht peinlich, wie die Ministerin geäußert hat, denn sie kann sofort aufhören, Steuergeld in Verhandlungen mit Microsoft und in unzureichenden Antworten in Ausschüssen zu verbraten. Die Entscheidung muss "Nein zu Microsoft" lauten, auf Antworten von Microsoft muss niemand warten.
Get one while they are still (on) hot 😎
#pcb #ProceduralArt #pcbart
I see that more and more (climate) activist groups are using #Telegram. I worry about this. Please read why:
- Telegram groups are not end-to-end encrypted.
- Meta-data: Telegram can see who are a group member.
- Although they say the messages are encrypted on their servers (with a home-made encryption protocol), they are the ones having the keys, so in theory they can also see what’s said in the group.
- There are examples of groups that were deleted by Telegram. Although these where ISIS and criminal groups, remember that Telegram has the power to do this.
- You can only sign-up with your phone number.
- Only the Telegram clients (apps) are open source, not the code they use on their servers.
- Telegram is founded, owned and funded by the Russian billionaire Pavel Durov. Although he’s anti-Putin, he’s a (American style) libertarian and of course a capitalist.
Please find something better folks!
Synapse Security update 1.19.2.
All federating instances should upgrade to 1.19.2 immediately. Those on a 1.20.0 release candidate should upgrade to 1.20.0rc4. https://matrix.org/blog/2020/09/16/synapse-1-19-2-released
Surveillance capitalism is the same as climate change, but for data:
- Some people have been warning about its consequences for years
- Most people don't care because they don't feel concerned, they can't see it affecting them
- A few companies are making a lot of damage with the help of governments
- When we will face the consequences it will be too late
- We can still do something about it, and the sooner the better
"As a knight," the king said, "it is your duty to kill dragons."
"Very well, my liege," the knight said. "Um. May I ask why?"
"Because they hoard wealth without sharing, and people live in fear of their capricious moods."
"Very well, my liege," the knight said and drew his sword.
#MicroFiction #TootFic #SmallStories
Facebook just gave me a sign to finally leave them completely:
My mostly unused facebook account follows 30 sites, but today the number was ~120. Guess what these 90 sites that where added have in common: They do not exist anymore and i was following them about 6 years ago, but not recently.
Why do they still have this data and why are they messing around with it?
We can accept corporate social media like Twitter and Facebook, where capitalists dictate what can or cannot be said and sell all our data for profit, or we can create our own social networks, based on decentralized protocols, with servers maintained and moderated by the community. That's why we've launched kolektiva.social. A #Mastodon server mantained by anarchists, dedicated to all who fight for freedom, equality and social justice.
Join now! Visit kolektiva.social and create your account.
@koyu @sathariel The internet started off so good with standards like email, irc, and usenet. In a way I think it got worse once the primary developers switched from standards committees full of people passionate about the potential of technical aspects of software to large companies with ad based profit motivations.
moderate altruistic eco-anarchist, does things with computers
This is my backup account. You can find my main account here: @haywo
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!